Feb. 12, 2012
BOSTON - Earning its fourth straight victory, the Boston University women's tennis team defeated UMBC, 6-1, on Sunday afternoon at the Track and Tennis Center. Winning five of the six singles matches after sweeping the three doubles contests, the Terriers improve to 4-0, while the Retrievers drop to 3-4
Freshman Sami Lieb led BU in singles by blanking Josefin Stange-Jonsson, 6-0, 6-0, in the No. 6 slot after teaming with senior Stefanie Nunic for an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles.
Sophomore Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis dropped just three games at No. 2 singles for a 6-1, 6-2 win against Shalini Sahoo and only one game at No. 1 doubles with Jessi Linero in an 8-1 victory.
The Terriers will have two weeks to prepare for a match at No. 60 Harvard on Friday, Feb. 25. Action is slated to begin at 4 p.m.
Boston University - 6, UMBC - 1
1) Vivien Laszloffy (BU) def. Kim Berghaus (UMBC): 6-3, 6-2
2) Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis (BU) def. Shalini Sahoo (UMBC): 6-1, 6-2
3) Stefanie Nunic (BU) def. Carmen Jackson (UMBC): 6-2, 6-3
4) Monika Mical (BU) def. Isabel Aldunate (UMBC): 6-3, 6-4
5) Heidi Danielsson (UMBC) def. Petra Santini (BU): 6-2, 6-3
6) Sami Lieb (BU) def. Josefin Stange-Jonsson (UMBC): 6-0, 6-0
1) Athanasiadis / Jessi Linero (BU) def. Barghaus/Jackman (UMBC): 8-1
2) Laszloffy/Mical (BU) def. Sahoo/Stange-Jonsson (UMBC): 8-4
3) Nunic/Lieb (BU) def. Aldunate/Hadji (UMBC): 8-1