April 27, 2012
America East Championship Central
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - Behind four victories in singles action, the Boston University men's tennis team opened the America East Championship with a 4-2 first round win over Hartford at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
Missing their regular No. 1 singles competitor, junior Josh Friedman, the Terriers (6-13) overcame losing the doubles point by capturing four singles points in straight sets, as the Hawks ended their season at 4-15.
Sophomore Jesse Frieder replaced Friedman at the top spot and earned a 6-3, 6-2 victory. Previously named America East Player of the Week, junior Alex Hallenbeck coasted to a 6-0, 6-1 victory in the No. 5 slot.
Seniors Regis Chang and Alex Green sealed the team victory at No. 4 and 6, respectively. Chang pulled out a 6-2, 6-4 victory, while Green won, 6-3, 6-3.
The Terriers will next face defending champion and top-seeded Binghamton on Saturday (April 28) at 2 p.m. The two squads last met in the 2010 AE Semifinals, when the Bearcats triumphed, 4-0, en route to the league title.
2012 America East Tennis Championship
Men's First Round
#4 Boston U. - 4, #5 Hartford - 2
1. Jesse Frieder (BU) def. Neves (HART): 6-3, 6-2
2. Bhalla (HART) def. Michael Kopelman (BU): 6-4, 6-3
3. Isaacson (HART) led Emilio Teran (BU): 6-4, 3-3 DNF
4. Regis Chang (BU) def. Kennelly (HART): 6-2, 6-4
5. Alex Hallenbeck (BU) def. Holdstein (HART): 6-0, 6-1
6. Alex Green (BU) def. Nedelcu (HART): 6-3, 6-3
1. Bhalla/Isaacson (HART) def. Marcus VanBerkel / Kopelman (BU): 8-3
2. Teran/Frieder (BOS) led Kennelly/Neves (HART): 7-4 DNF
3. Holdstein/Nedelcu (HART) def. Alex Green / Alex Hallenbeck (BU): 8-2