Feb. 16, 2014
BOSTON - Earning its first sweep of the season, the Boston University men's tennis team blanked Merrimack, 7-0, on Sunday afternoon at the BU Track & Tennis Center. With the victory, the Terriers improve to 2-4, while the Warriors drop to 3-1.
Freshmen Jay Leelavanich and Jake De Vries started off in doubles with an 8-2 win in the No. 3 slot. Sophomore Stefan Lemire and freshman Mario Sandoval followed up with an 8-5 victory at No. 2 to help BU clinch the doubles point.
In singles, both Sandoval (#3) and junior Emilio Teran (#4) posted identical 6-2, 6-0 decisions. Senior Chanon Varapongsittikul coasted to a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 1, while classmate Jesse Frieder won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 2.
With the team result already decided, Leelavanich (#5) and De Vries (#6) competed in shortened singles contests and won 8-2 and 8-1, respectively.
BU will continue its three-match homestand on Wednesday (Feb. 19) against UConn at 3 p.m.
Boston University - 7, Merrimack - 0
1. Chanon Varapongsittikul (BU) def. Matt Pronesti (MERRIMACK): 6-2, 6-1
2. Jesse Frieder (BU) def. Miguel Belfort (MERRIMACK): 6-4, 6-1
3. Mario Sandoval (BU) def. Chris Barnhart (MERRIMACK): 6-2, 6-0
4. Emilio Teran (BU) def. James Barnhart (MERRIMACK): 6-2, 6-0
5. Jay Leelavanich (BU) def. Vince Bellino (MERRIMACK): 8-2
6. Jake De Vries (BU) def. Nick Majewski (MERRIMACK): 8-1
1. Varapongsittikul/Frieder (BU) led Pronesti/C. Barnhart (MERRIMACK): 7-4, unfinished
2. Stefan Lemire / Sandoval (BU) def. J. Barnhart/Bellino (MERRIMACK): 8-5
3. Leelavanich/De Vries (BU) def. Belfort/Majewski (MERRIMACK): 8-2