Jan. 30, 2015
Watch on PLN | Listen (TSRN) | Live Stats | Game Notes | @BUGameDay
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Currently in a six-way tie for fourth-place in the Patriot League standings, the Boston University men's basketball team will begin the second go-round in the conference schedule at Lehigh on Saturday with tip-off slated for 2 p.m.
In the previous meeting on Jan. 3, the Terriers (8-12, 4-5 PL) drained a season-high 14 3-pointers en route to a 75-56 victory over the Mountain Hawks (10-10, 4-5 PL). Since the dominating victory though, BU has gone 2-5, while the Mountain Hawks have posted a 4-3 record.
With all of the teams closely bunched together, the final nine conference regular season games will prove critical in determining which six teams avoid having to play in the opening round of the Patriot League tournament.
• Sophomore Eric Fanning tallied a career-high 27 points and eight rebounds on Thursday at Army ... The points are the most by a Terrier since Dom Morris ('14) earned 27 points against UMass Lowell on Nov. 13, 2013.
• Both BU and Army entered Thursday's game averaging a combined 16 3-pointers but managed just nine total while shooting below 25 percent ... Junior John Papale hit a 3-pointer on four attempts to move into a tie for eighth place all-time at BU with 174 career 3-pointers ... He and freshman Cheddi Mosely went a combined 9-of-11 from 3-point range to beat Lehigh earlier this season.
• Junior Nathan Dieudonne had 11 points and seven rebounds against the Black Knights ... He's currently third in scoring at 9.8 ppg, having scored 10+ points in four straight games now ... He also ranks second in the PL in rebounding at 7.7 rpg.
• BU is 5-2 this season when at least four Terriers reach double figures in a game and is 3-10 when fewer than four hit the mark ... The Terriers are also 7-2 this season when tallying at least 69 points in a game.
• Sophomore Cedric Hankerson was limited to eight points Thursday and now ranks third in the Patriot League in scoring at 17.1 ppg ... He leads BU with seven 20+ point games while also owning a team-high 37 steals, double the amount by the next closest Terrier.
• Through nine PL games, opponents have outscored BU by just one point, 625-624 ... The Terriers are shooting 70.3 percent at the line compared to opponents' 74.4 shooting performance.
• Junior Justin Alston is averaging 8.9 ppg and 6.4 rpg in conference action while shooting 57.9 percent from the field ... Fanning is next at 53.1 FG% while averaging 13.2 ppg.
• Following the loss at BU, the Mountain Hawks claimed a 71-60 victory at Army ... Also own wins over Lafayette, Navy and Holy Cross ... Led current No. 1 Bucknell by 16 in the middle of the second half this past Wednesday before the Bison outscored Lehigh, 34-14, to win the game.
• Tim Kempton owns nine double-doubles this season and leads the PL in rebounding at 8.8 rpg while also averaging 14.2 ppg ... He had 13 points and seven rebounds in the earlier loss to BU along with six turnovers.
• Kahron Ross leads the PL in assists at 5.7 apg while averaging 9.7 ppg ... He is on pace to snap the Terriers' three-year streak of having the conference's top assist leader ... In the last meeting, he was limited to two points and three assists.
• The Mountain Hawks shared one non-conference opponent with the Terriers ... Fell at Quinnipiac (80-65), who dropped a 71-68 decision to BU in Case Gym.
• Lehigh owns an impressive triple-overtime 84-81 victory at Pac-12 member Arizona State, just two days after the loss to Quinnipiac ... Also defeated the Big East's DePaul on the road.
• Through nine PL games, Lehigh ranks seventh in scoring at 63.8 ppg and fourth in defense at 64.4 ppg ... The Mountain Hawks lead the league in holding fellow conference opponents to 40.0 FG%.
• The Terriers own a 3-1 advantage after the teams recorded a split last season ... They met for the first time since BU pulled out a victory during the 1968-69 season.
• In the last meeting at Lehigh, BU claimed a 67-66 win after D.J. Irving ('14) hit two free throws with 1.9 seconds left in regulation.
• After a two-game road trip, the Terriers will return to Agganis Arena and host Navy on Wednesday (Feb. 4) at 7 p.m.
• BU won the first meeting, 70-64, back on Jan. 7 behind Hankerson's 21 points and Dieudonne's double-double.