The Boston University men's and women's openweight rowing teams, along with BU alumni, competed in Day 1 of the 52nd Head of the Charles Regatta (HOCR) on Saturday. The day was highlighted by bronze medal victories by the men's team in both the Club 8 and Club 4 races.
DeWolfe Boathouse, Charles River – Boston, Mass.
Full Results: Regatta Central
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Men's Club 8 "A" - 3rd place (15:37.12)
- Men's Club 8 "B" - 8th place (15:48.86)
- Men's Club 4 - 3rd place (17:06.65)
- Women's Club 8 - 12th place (17:50.12)
- Women's Club 4 - 21st (20:41.31)
- Men's Alumni 8 - 4th (15:00.76)
- Women's Senior Master 8 - 14th (19:02.81)
- Women's Alumni 8 - 26th (18:59.88)
- The men's third varsity boat, coxed by sophomore Sean Dooling and stroked by freshman Travis Kennedy, finished third in the club 8 race with a time of 15:37.12 in a field made up of 36 boats. Only boats from Harvard and Northeastern finished ahead of the Terriers 3V. In the same race, the BU fourth varsity, coxed by sophomore Jeane Garner and stroked by classmate Kyle Blackburn, finished 8th with a time of 15:48.86.
- Earlier in the day, BU also medaled in the men's club 4 race. Coxed by sophomore Nick Meehan and stroked by freshman Theo Warren, BU finished with a time of 17:06.65 to win bronze in a large field of 49 boats.
- The BU women's openweight team finished 12th in the club 8 competition. Coxed by freshman Julia White and stroked by classmate Sydney Blasetti, the Terriers finished with a time of 17:50.12 in a field of 39 under increasingly rainy conditions.
- Earlier in the day, the women's club 4 boat, coxed by junior Erin Gannon and stroked by senior Kristina Damm, finished 21st in a field of 59.
- Also competing for BU were several alumni boats. The men's alumni 8 boat took 4th, while the women's alumni 8 finished 26th. The women's senior master eight boat finished 14th.
SUNDAY SCHEDULE OF BU RACES
- The Terriers will compete in Day 2 of the HOCR regatta on Sunday (Oct. 23).
2:02 pm – Women's Lightweight Championship 4
2:20 pm – Men's Championship 8
2:36 pm – Women's Championship 8
2:36 pm – Women's Lightweight Championship 8
(openweights and lightweights have same HOCR start time this year)