April 12, 2016
BOSTON - Before resuming Patriot League play this weekend, the Boston University softball team will visit Brown (Wednesday) and Boston College (Thursday) in a pair of road midweek matchups. The first pitch for both contests is slated for 4 p.m.
Having only played three games in the last two weeks, the Terriers (11-18) were originally scheduled to visit UMass on Wednesday, but the Minutewomen had to make up an Atlantic 10 series with Rhode Island.
BU was able to pick up a pair of games by scheduling Brown (16-11) and Boston College (20-15), who were both also looking to play more softball after dealing with their own postponements and cancellations caused by weather.
• The Terriers have dropped their last six games after going 7-1 in the previous eight but four of them were by one run and a fifth contest was just by two runs.
• BU is batting .283 as a team with junior Brittany Younan leading the way at .370 with 16 RBIs ... Freshman Alex Heinen (.309 avg) owns a team-high 21 RBIs and six doubles for a .457 slugging percentage.
• Sophomore Jilee Schanda is second on the team in hitting at .325 ... Junior Gabi Martinez is hitting .215 but has gotten into a groove recently, batting .333 over the last six games with two homers ... Junior Moriah Connolly (.316 avg) continues to lead BU in stolen bases with 16 on 17 attempts.
• BU's pitching staff owns a combined 3.67 ERA with opposing batters hitting .264 ... Senior Lauren Hynes (8-9, 2.80 ERA) leads the Terriers with 83 strikeouts in 105.0 innings.
Brown, 16-11 (Wednesday, 4 p.m.)
• The Bears are 3-1 at home after claiming a doubleheader sweep over Cornell and a split against Princeton last weekend ... They are 8-4 over the last 12 games with wins over Mount St. Mary's and UMBC.
• BU won the last meeting against Brown at home, 4-1, in 2006 ... The Bears last hosted the Terriers in 2005 and went 1-0-1 with a 6-1 win and 3-3 tie.
• Brown is batting .315 as a team ... Julia Schoenewald bats a team-high .449 with 14 RBIs and 18 runs scored ... Christina Andrews (.314 avg) is one of seven above .300 and leads Brown with 20 RBIs ... Janet Leung (.344 avg) has reached home plate 20 times.
• The Bears rely on three pitchers for a combined 2.77 ERA ... Katie Orona (8-5, 2.41 ERA) owns 68 strikeouts in 84.1 innings and holds opponents to .236 average ... Gina Chieffallo (5-1, 2.47 ERA) is holding batters to .267.
Boston College, 20-15 (Thursday, 4 p.m.)
• Since pulling out a 5-4 win at BU on March 30, the Eagles have only managed to host North Carolina in a three-game series this past weekend ... They rebounded from a doubleheader loss (6-2, 4-3) with a 5-2 win in the third contest.
• The Eagles will be hosting the Terriers for the first time since weather halted action last year ... BU was ahead, 3-2, with the bases loaded and zero outs when the game was called ... BC won the last completed game at home, 8-0, back in 2014 ... The Terriers last won at BC in 2013 with a 7-2 score.
• BC is batting .268 as a team with 23 homers ... Jessie Daulton leads at .330 with five homers and 20 RBIs, while Tatiana Cortez owns 10 homers, 20 runs scored and 24 RBIs ... Loren DiEmmanuele (.288 avg) has 18 stolen bases on 20 attempts.
• Jessica Dreswick (9-5, 2.19 ERA) is holding opponents to a .248 batting average ... Allyson Frei (11-9, 3.19 ERA) owns an impressive 117 strikeouts in 109.2 innings but has double the walks (56) compared to Dreswick.
• The Terriers will next host Bucknell in a three-game series on April 16-17 with Saturday's doubleheader slated to start at 12 p.m.
• The Bison avenged a 2014 PL title game loss to the Terriers by sweeping BU at home last year ... BU is 4-4 against Bucknell since joining the conference.