April 15, 2016
|BU Softball (12-19, 0-3 PL) vs. Bucknell (21-16, 6-3 PL)
||Saturday, April 16 (DH) - 12 p.m.
Sunday, April 17 - 12 p.m.
||BU Softball Field - Boston, Mass.
||Game 1 | Game 2 | Game 3
|Listen | Watch
||WTBU | Periscope (link to watch will appear on @BostonUSoftball)
||@BUGameDay | @BostonUSoftball | Instagram
BOSTON - Looking to play its first Patriot League game in three weeks, the Boston University softball team will host Bucknell in a three-game series with Saturday's doubleheader slated to begin at 12 p.m. The rubber game will take place Sunday at 12 p.m.
The Terriers (12-19, 0-3 PL) dropped the conference opening three-game series at Army by a combined four runs on March 26-27 and haven't played in a PL contest since then due to weather postponing the Lehigh series and having a bye week. BU will enter the Bucknell series after posting a 7-3 win at Brown and dropping a 7-2 decision at Boston College.
The Bison (21-16, 6-3 PL) are on a four-game losing streak after losing the last two games of last weekend's series to Army and suffering a doubleheader sweep at Penn State on Wednesday. Bucknell earlier won all three games at Lafayette and claimed two victories against Holy Cross.
• BU is 2-1 at home this season with a 10-2 win over Providence and 6-5 (9 inn.) victory over Sacred Heart ... The Terriers were later edged by Boston College, 5-4 (8 inn.) ... Weather postponed the Lehigh series to April 26-27.
• The Terriers are batting .284 ... Since the weekend series at Army, BU has batted .281 over five games ... Senior Gabi Martinez (.235 avg.) has led the charge recently at .467 avg. with two homers and five RBIs.
• Junior Moriah Connolly (.333 avg.) has also increased her average to .375 with a team-high four runs scored ... Junior Brittany Younan (.361 avg.) and sophomore Jilee Schanda (.322 avg.) are the other two Terriers hitting above .300 during the season ... Freshman Alex Heinen (.284 avg.) leads the Terriers with 21 RBIs.
• Senior Melanie Russell (2-6, 3.77 ERA) has started three of the last five games with two complete-game performances ... In that stretch, she's 1-1 with a 2.71 ERA with 11 strikeouts in 20.2 innings ... Overall, classmate Lauren Hynes (8-10, 2.75 ERA) leads the way with 86 strikeouts in 107.0 innings and opponents hitting .255.
• Bucknell is 8-7 on the road with key non-conference wins at East Carolina, Delaware and UNC Wilmington ... The Bison were limited to one run in each loss to Penn State (2-1, 4-1).
• The Bison are batting .295 as a team and own a 50-24 advantage in stolen bases ... Meghan Kovac ranks second in the league with a team-high .434 with four homers and 31 RBIs.
• Amanda Fazio (11-7, 1.83 ERA) and Dana Nielsen (8-5, 2.66 ERA) have combined for 30 of the 37 starts and have pitched 17 complete games ... Fazio owns 95 strikeouts in 118.2 innings and is holding opponents to .226 batting average ... Cindy Cherness (1-1, 2.90 ERA) has the team's lone save.
• Besides being Bucknell's top pitcher, Fazio ranks second in hitting at .360 with 21 stolen bases and 12 RBIs ... Anna Gimmestad (.305 avg) has 16 RBIs and 12 doubles.
• The teams met for the first time when BU joined the Patriot League in the summer of 2013 ... Highlighted by a 10-5 PL title game victory, the Terriers went 4-1 in 2014 but were swept at Bucknell last year.
• Two years ago, Russell threw just 77 pitches to become the fifth Terrier in program history to pitch a perfect game, as BU pulled out a 1-0 win at home ... She later help lead BU to a 4-3 (8 inn.) and 10-5 win at the PL tournament.
• Last season, Bucknell prevented BU from earning a PL tournament bid ... The Bison won the first game, 2-1, on a walk-off solo homer ... Bucknell then claimed a 6-1 win and 5-3 victory.
• BU will hit the road for two non-conference games ... The Terriers will play at Bryant on Wednesday (April 20) and at UMass Lowell on Thursday (April 21) ... First pitch is set for 4 p.m. both days.
• Last year's matchup vs. Bryant was cancelled due to having to make up a doubleheader at Lehigh ... The Terriers defeated UML twice by one run, 7-6 and 2-1.