May 6, 2016
BOSTON - Looking to clinch a spot in next week's Patriot League tournament, the Boston University softball team will visit Colgate with both Saturday's doubleheader and Sunday's rubber game slated to begin at 12 p.m.
Coming off a three-game sweep at Holy Cross, the Terriers (23-21, 9-5 PL) only have the Raiders (11-27, 6-9 PL) in their way and can return to the four-team conference tournament for the first time since claiming the 2014 title with just one victory. Two wins over the weekend would push BU to the No. 3 seed, as Bucknell sits at 11-7 after earlier dropping two in Boston.
Officially, the Terriers do have another game remaining on the conference schedule against Lehigh due to multiple postponements caused by rain. The two squads, however, would only make up the game if necessary. The Mountain Hawks (11-3 PL) are hosting Holy Cross (3-12 PL), while Army (11-4 PL) is facing Lafayette (2-13 PL).
• The Terriers are 10-1 in their last 11 games with the lone loss coming against Lehigh in eight innings after a 2-0 win over the Mountain Hawks ... They are batting .329 during the stretch and holding opponents to just .167 ... In total, BU has outscored opponents, 51-15.
• BU is 7-11 in true road games this year and has won the last five contests ... Last weekend, the Terriers claimed two one-run victories at Holy Cross ... BU is now 3-10 this year in one-run contests.
• Over the last 11 games, freshman Alexa Ponce is batting a team-high .529 (9-of-17) with classmate Emily Morrow second at .414 ... Both juniors Brittany Younan and Gabi Martinez have posted a team-high nine RBIs apiece over the stretch.
• Senior Melanie Russell (10-8, 2.29 ERA) has earned the last two PL Pitcher of the Week awards and is on an absolute tear ... She is 7-1 over the last 11 games with 59 strikeouts in 47.0 innings and a 0.60 ERA ... Senior Lauren Hynes (11-10, 2.41 ERA) pitched her first-career no-hitter at Holy Cross last weekend and has been impressive as well with a 3-0 record, 1.06 ERA and 22 strikeouts in 26.1 innings.
• The Raiders are coming off a three-game sweep at Lafayette in which they beat the Leopards by a combined score of 13-2 ... They are 2-8 at home with a win over Army and Binghamton.
• Offensively, Colgate is batting .226 as a team ... Katie Bushee is the lone Raider over .300 at .309 with 11 doubles, 17 RBIs and 17 stolen bases ... Holly Geranen and Lauren La Terra are both hitting .270 with and 12 RBIs ... Nine Raiders have hit at least one homer this year.
• Colgate has primarily relied on three pitchers and owns a team 4.04 ERA ... Brigit Ieuter (6-12, 3.82 ERA) has 20 starts and eight complete games with 42 strikeouts in 95.1 innings ... Kyle Griswold (4-12, 3.50 ERA) owns the lowest opposing batting average at .246.
• The Terriers are 6-0 all-time with all six contests taking place in the Patriot League over the last two years ... They won three at Colgate by a combined score of 20-5 and then claimed three at home last year by a combined score of 19-9, which included a 4-3 decision.
• In game one last year after Russell allowed three runs without an out, junior Makinna Akers pitched seven scoreless innings and only allowed two hits ... The Terriers rallied with three runs in the bottom of the seventh for the victory.
• Akers pitched all seven innings in game two and was helped by Schanda's grand slam in the first ... Hynes went a perfect 3-of-3 with four RBIs to complete the sweep.
• If the tournament seeds are still in flux following the weekend series, the Terriers will have to make up their game against Lehigh ... More information will be released later this weekend on GoTerriers.com if the game has to be played.
• The four-team Patriot League tournament will take place at a location to be determined on May 12-14.