| Postgame Comments: Quinn
DURHAM, N.H. - Thanks to its biggest offensive output of the season, the No. 4/4 Boston University men's ice hockey team rallied for an 8-4 road win over New Hampshire on Saturday evening to reach the 20-win mark and secure a first-round bye in the Hockey East playoffs.
Final Score: #4/4 Boston University 8, New Hampshire 4
Records: BU (20-9-3, 12-5-3 Hockey East), New Hampshire (12-15-5, 7-9-4 Hockey East)
Location: Whittemore Center – Durham, N.H.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Down 4-3 late in the second period, the Terriers reeled off five straight goals to earn their 20th win of the year and take three of four points in the weekend series with the Wildcats.
- Six Terriers had multi-point nights, led by freshman Patrick Harper, who tallied two goals, including the game-winner, and an assist.
- After UNH opened the scoring just over eight minutes in, junior John MacLeod equalized for the Terriers by blasting a shot from the center point to the top left corner of the net at 15:48 of the first.
- BU faced a 3-1 deficit in the early stages of the second period but used goals from junior Chase Phelps and Harper to make it a 3-3 contest.
- A goal by Ara Nazarian at 16:18 of the second period gave UNH what would be its final lead of the night as freshman Dante Fabbro pocketed a power-goal just over two minutes later to create a 4-4 deadlock.
- In the third, Harper secured his third two-goal game of the season, giving BU its first lead of the weekend at 3:30 of the period.
- Freshman Kieffer Bellows and sophomore Bobo Carpenter added markers to build the lead before freshman Clayton Keller put the finishing touched on the win with an empty netter.
- Freshman goaltender Jake Oettinger made 20 saves for BU while Danny Tirone stopped 29 in goal for the Wildcats.
- The last time the Terriers scored eight goals in a game was a 9-5 home victory over Massachusetts on Jan. 30, 2015.
- BU reached the 20-win mark for the fifth time in the past six seasons.
- The Terriers outshot the Wildcats, 37-25, including a 15-3 margin in the final period.
- For the second consecutive night, Tyler Kelleher recorded a goal and two assists for UNH to maintain his national scoring lead at 57 points.
- Carpenter extended his point streak to a career-best seven games (6g, 4a).
- BU's final series of the regular season will take place at home as No. 15/NR Notre Dame visits Agganis Arena on Feb. 24-25 for its final league games as a member of Hockey East.
- Friday's opener starts at 6 p.m. as part of an ASN doubleheader that will be broadcast on NESN.