DURHAM, N.C. –
Making its 17th
NCAA tournament appearance, the Patriot League champion Boston University women's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision at No. 15 Duke in the opening round on Friday afternoon.
#15 Duke 4, Boston University 0
Duke (21-5), BU (11-11)
Ambler Tennis Stadium/Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center
Full Results: HTML
- In a steady mist at the Ambler Tennis Stadium, Duke swept through doubles by a combined score of 16-4 to jump out to a 1-0 lead ... Junior Iryna Kostirko and sophomore Sabrina Faybyshev held a 4-2 lead over the Blue Devils before their match in the No. 2 slot ended in a 4-4 deadlock.
- With the rain picking up, the match moved indoors to the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center ... Following a two-hour delay, the match resumed with singles play starting at 7 p.m.
- Featuring three top-100 ranked players, Duke won in straight sets at lines 1, 3 and 5 to advance to the second round of the NCAAs.
- As a team, BU won a combined 26 games in their first-ever match against the Blue Devils with two players one game away from winning a set.
- After being blanked in the first set in the No. 4 slot, Fabybyshev came back strong in the second set, going ahead 5-3 before her match was left unfinished.
- Sophomore Sophia Kryloff also rebounded after dropping a hard-fought first set (6-4) ... She led 5-3 in the second before the match was halted at line 6.
- With the season over, the Terriers and 32nd-year head coach Lesley Sheehan will lose the services of senior co-captains Madison Craft and Barbara Rodriguez ... Craft, a fifth-year senior, earned three ITA Scholar-Athlete nods and Rodriguez earned three-straight PL All-Conference Second Team selections.
- Winner of the last four Patriot League titles, BU will return four members from their starting lineup against Duke – Patriot League Player of the Year Remi Ramos, Kostriko, Faybyshev and Kryloff next fall ... Freshman Clara Falxa, freshman Lily O'Fagan and sophomore Kaely Malik have also seen action for BU this past season.