YPSILANTI, Mich. –
Despite shooting over 47 percent from the field, the Boston University men's basketball suffered a 80-62 loss on Saturday afternoon at Eastern Michigan.
The Eagles (4-1) shot 72.0 percent from the field in the second half to remain perfect at home with a 4-0 record, as the Terriers (3-2) suffered their first road loss of the year following wins at Northeastern and Albany.
Junior Max Mahoney
led the Terriers with 18 points on 8-of-12 shooting, while sophomore Javante McCoy
tallied 17 points with the help of four 3-pointers. EMU's Elijah Minnie hit five treys en route to a career-high 28 points, and James Thompson IV posted a double-double (14 pts., 14 rebs.).
- After Mahoney hit two free throws to pull BU within four (55-51) at 9:04, the Eagles scored the game's next 16 points.
- EMU hit three 3-pointers during the run with Minnie hitting fifth bomb at 5:08 for the 71-51 advantage.
- There were nine lead changes in the first half with BU jumping out to an early 8-5 lead at 17:33 following back-to-back layups from Mahoney and junior Tyler Scanlon.
- Sophomore Andrew Petcash hit his first of two 3-pointers to extend the lead to 16-11 at 12:10.
- Thompson and Boubacar Toure responded with back-to-back dunks to ignite a 13-2 run capped by Minnie's layup at 5:25.
- BU scored the game's next eight points with freshman Jordan Guest converting on a three-point play and Petcash adding a second trey at 2:33 to give the Terriers their final lead of the game.
- EMU though had an 8-0 spurt of its own to enter the locker room leading, 32-26, despite shooting 38.2 FG% compared to BU's 45.8FG%.
- McCoy start the second half with a 3-pointer and tied the game at 17:28 (36-36), but Paul Jackson hit a jumper to give the Eagles the lead for good.
- Jackson struck again with a 3-pointer at 12:13 to extend the lead to 52-43.
- BU had an 8-3 spurt to pull within four before EMU rode an offensive surge to victory.
NEXT UP: DREXEL
- Mahoney scored 18 points in a game for the second time this season following his performance against Vermont, while McCoy finished one shy of his season best.
- The Eagles entered the contest receiving the third most votes outside the top 25 of the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Poll.
- EMU improved to 3-1 all-time against the Terriers, winning their first meeting since 1997.
- BU was outscored in the paint for the first time this season, 34-28.
- The Terriers made their first visit to the state of Michigan since beating the Wolverines in 2004.
- BU finished the game 24-of-51 (.471), including 6-of-17 (.353) from behind the arc, and did not help its cause by shooting 8-of-18 (.444) at the charity stripe.
- EMU on the flip side went 31-of-59 FG (.525), 7-of-16 3FG (.438) and 11-of-12 FT (.917), respectively.
- The Terriers will continue the six-game road trip at Drexel on Wednesday (Nov. 21) with a 3 p.m. start time.
- The Dragons lead the all-time series, 22-10, but the teams haven't met since Drexel left the America East for the CAA following the 2000-01 season.