Despite junior Max Mahoney
earning his second double-double of the season, the Boston University men's basketball team fell in the non-conference finale to MEAC preseason favorite Bethune-Cookman, 74-66, on Friday night at Case Gym.
In the second-ever meeting, the Wildcats (5-9) shot 56.0 percent from the field in the second half and held the Terriers (7-6) to 39.5 percent to avenge last season's 90-87 home loss. Mahoney and junior Tyler Scanlon
combined for 31 points and 21 rebounds, but BCU had four players finish in double figures to offset the juniors' production.
- Trailing by as many as 14 points (55-41) with 11:41 remaining, the Terriers went on a 13-0 run capped by freshman Jack Hemphill's 3-pointer at 6:37.
- The teams went back and forth over the next four minutes, and Mahoney converted on his offensive rebound with a layup to put the deficit at 63-60.
- The Wildcats responded with a 7-0 spurt finished by Dondre Duffus' layup and free throw at 49 seconds to pull away for the victory.
- During the game-changing stretch, the Terriers missed three field goal attempts and a free throw while also committing two turnovers.
- The Terriers scored the game's first five points on redshirt-freshman Alex Vilarino's buzzer-beating jumper and freshman Jordan Guest's 3-pointer at 17:40 for their largest lead of the game.
- Freshman Garrett Pascoe flushed a 3-pointer at 14:25 (9-5), and classmate Jonas Harper added another at 10:52 for a 14-11 advantage.
- Mahoney gave BU its final lead at 8:49 (16-15) by converting on Scanlon's long pass with a fastbreak layup.
- Armani Collins followed up with his lone 3-pointer to give BCU its first multi-point advantage.
- With the score tied, 23-23, at 4:23 on freshman Jack Hemphill's tip-in, Mark Gordon and Wali Parks hit back-to-back bombs.
- Malik Maitland added two free throws at 3:22 for the 31-23 lead, but the Terriers finished the half on a 6-0 spurt with Mahoney hitting a buzzer-beating jumper after BU missed a 1-and-1 to put the halftime deficit at 31-29.
- After BCU's Dondre Duffus opened the second half on a 3-pointer, Mahoney scored on another offensive rebound and Guest drained his second trey at 18:44 to tie the game for the fourth time, 34-34.
- The Wildcats scored the game's next 10 points over the next two minutes and extended the lead to 52-39 at 13:13 on back-to-back 3-pointers from Shawntrez Davis.
- Owning a 55-41 advantage with 11:41 remaining on Duffus' layup, the Wildcats missed their next eight field goal attempts over the following six minutes before Houston Smith scored on a tip-in at 5:44 for the 58-55 lead.
NEXT UP: AMERICAN
- Named the Patriot League Player of the Week on Monday, Mahoney went 8-of-13 from the field en route to 17 points and added a career-high 13 rebounds for his third-career double-double.
- Scanlon was two boards shy of a double-double with 14 points and four assists.
- Sophomore Javante McCoy added a career-high nine rebounds, as the Terriers out-rebounded BCU, 44-26.
- Maitland and Duffus had 14 points and two steals apiece with Maitland adding five assists, while Smith and Davis contributed 13 points apiece.
- The Terriers went 8-of-30 (.267) from behind the arc, while the Wildcats went 8-of-12 (.667).
- BCU outscored BU from the charity stripe, 20-4, and also off turnovers, 18-6.
- The Terriers will open conference play at American on Wednesday, Jan. 2, with a 7 p.m. start time.
- The Eagles won the last matchup at Bender Arena, 60-56, back in February.