HAMILTON, N.Y. –
Boosted by clutch hitting and a pair of strong freshman pitching performances, the Boston University softball team earned a doubleheader sweep at Colgate on Saturday afternoon to clinch its ninth overall conference regular season title and the opportunity to host its first Patriot League tournament next week.
With the two road wins, the Terriers improve to 35-18 and 14-3 in league play to become the first team besides Lehigh to host the four-team event since 2011. BU claimed the automatic NCAA berth at Lehigh in both 2014 and 2016 as the No. 2 and 3 seeds, respectively.
In the first contest, freshman Ali DuBois
(24-7) limited the Raiders (11-31, 6-11 PL) to just one hit with the help of five strikeouts for an 8-0 victory, and classmate Cali Dolfi
(5-7) then only allowed five hits in the 6-2 game-two win. Senior Brittany Younan
, junior Alex Heinen
and senior Emma Wong
all collected a team-high three hits apiece in the doubleheader with Heinen posting a team-high four RBIs and Younan reaching home plate four times.
GAME 1: BU 8, Colgate 0 (6 inn.)
HOW IT HAPPENED
GAME 2: BU 6, Colgate 2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wong started the game with a one-out triple and scored on Heinen's infield grounder to give BU the lead for good.
- Virginia Irby led off the bottom half with Colgate's lone single, but she was caught attempting to steal second.
- After giving up singles to freshman Marina Sylvestri and Wong during the top of the third, Colgate threw a wild pitch and then committed an error on an infield grounder to face a 3-0 deficit.
- Senior Jilee Schanda started the fourth with a single, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on senior Kaitlin Sahlinger's RBI single up the middle to push the lead to 4-0.
- The Terriers doubled the advantage in the top of the sixth with four runs off four hits, including another RBI single from Sahlinger and an RBI single by Younan.
- Heinen plated two more with a two-out single down the right field line.
- Colgate put two runners on with the help of two BU errors, but DuBois earned the shutout with a strikeout and two fly outs.
- BU again jumped out ahead in the first inning with three runs off two hits, a walk and Colgate error.
- With two outs and two in scoring position after the Colgate error allowed Younan to score, junior Emily Morrow went up the middle for a two-RBI single and 3-0 advantage.
- The Raiders started with back-to-back singles and an RBI double against sophomore Lizzie Annerino to pull within two.
- Dolfi entered in relief and got a foul out and two ground outs to keep two Raiders on base.
- Junior Alexa Ponce led off the second with a double and advanced to third on Younan's single to left.
- Wong followed with an RBI grounder and eventually scored the team's fifth run by stealing home.
- Younan added the sixth and final run in the fourth by doubling to right center and scoring on Heinen's RBI double.
- Trying to mount a rally, Colgate had a double and RBI single in the sixth but finished the game with four straight ground outs against Dolfi.
NEXT UP: Colgate
- BU finished as No. 1 in the regular season standings of a conference for the first time since leading the America East three straight years in 2010-12 ... The Terriers won two tournament crowns during that stretch.
- The Terriers improved to 13-1 all-time against Colgate and have now won the last seven contests.
- Already owning an eight-inning no-hitter against Army, DuBois has allowed just one hit in four other victories.
- DuBois' nine solo shutouts are tied for sixth all-time in the BU record ... She has 24 wins, one shy of No. 5 in the BU record book in a season and in sole possession of fifth in the Patriot League record book.
- Younan needs two more hits to earn a tie for fourth all-time at BU with Shayne Lotito ('09) ... She now ranks No. 7 all-time in the PL in hits and tied-for-seventh in runs scored (143).
- Heinen now owns 114 RBIs, just 26 shy of the school record held by BU Hall of Famer April Setterlund ('11).
- With her triple, Wong is in sole possession of eighth in the BU record book at 12 career triples ... Her 47 runs scored are tied for fifth all-time in a season at BU and tied-for-eighth in the PL.
- The Terriers will wrap up the regular season on Sunday at Colgate with a 12 p.m. first pitch.
- Fans will be able to watch the action on the Patriot League Network.