BOSTON – Following an extended holiday break, the Boston University men's basketball team will open both the new year and the Patriot League schedule at American on Wednesday night with tip-off slated for 7 p.m.
The Terriers haven't played since dropping a 74-66 decision to MEAC preseason favorite Bethune-Cookman on Dec. 21, while the Eagles are coming off Saturday's 71-67 OT loss at George Washington.
- Selected to finish fourth in the Patriot League preseason poll with two first-place votes, BU has finished with a .500 or better record in conference play for 18 seasons, which is tied-for-ninth longest in the nation alongside VCU … The Terriers have earned 10+ wins in nine out of the last 10 seasons.
- BU is 4-1 in both Patriot League openers and PL road openers.
- Junior Max Mahoney leads the Terriers in both scoring (16.2 ppg) and rebounding (5.8 rpg) with classmate Tyler Scanlon close behind in both categories (13.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg).
- Owner of two double-doubles this season, Mahoney ranks 10th nationally in shooting percentage (.670) … Scanlon leads BU in both assists (3.4 apg) and steals (1.3 spg).
- Sophomore Javante McCoy is the third Terrier in double figures at 10.4 ppg and leads the team in made 3-pointers per game (1.6).
- The Terriers are 4-4 on the road this season with wins at New Hampshire (82-53), Elon (65-58), Albany (71-61) and Northeastern (77-74) … All four losses have been by 10+ points, including most recently at Dartmouth (78-68) on Dec. 13.
- BU ranks 74th nationally at 47.3 FG% and 86th in scoring defense (67.4) … On the flipside, the Terriers are 347th in free throw attempts (165) and 317th in steals (4.9 spg).
- The Eagles were selected to finish seventh in the Patriot League preseason poll after finishing 10th last season at 3-15.
- American is 3-2 at home with wins over UNH (68-44), St. Francis Pa. (95-82) and Maryland-Eastern Shore (82-58) along with losses to Wagner (64-58) and Mount St. Mary's (56-55).
- Coming off a 71-67 OT loss at George Washington, the Eagles own key road wins at George Mason (78-75 OT) and defending America East champion UMBC (73-69).
- Preseason All-PL honoree Sa'eed Nelson owns a team-high 17.7 ppg while averaging 5.8 rpg, 4.7 apg and 2.0 spg, while 2018 All-PL Rookie member Sam Iorio is averaging 15.6 ppg and a team-high 7.2 rpg.
- The Eagles rank 17th nationally in fewest turnovers and 28th in fewest fouls, while also ranking 25th in 3FG% defense (.286) and 44th in FG% (.393).
- AU is averaging 71.3 ppg and 45.5 FG% while holding opponents to 66.5 ppg.
- The Terriers lead the all-time series, 9-5, with a 7-5 record since joining the Patriot League in the summer of 2013.
- American won both meetings last year to snap a seven-game regular-season losing streak to BU.
- In last year's 60-56 loss at Bender Arena, the Terriers led, 55-53, with 3:54 remaining but missed five field goals and only hit one free throw down the stretch.
- Iorio led AU with 22 points, 10 rebounds, six blocks and five assists, while Mahoney had a game-high 25 points and eight boards for the Terriers.