WEST POINT, NY– Led by 12 points from both freshman Nia Irving and junior Kara Sheftic, the Boston University women's basketball team defeated Army 66-62 to end its regular season on a high note.
Having already earned the No. 5 seed in the upcoming PL tournament and a first round bye, the Terriers will now prepare for their quarterfinal matchup at American on Monday, March 6.
Final Score: Boston University 66, Army 62
Records: BU (13-16, 11-7 PL), Army West Point (21-8, 12-6 PL)
Location: Christl Arena – West Point, NY.
Watch Replay: PatriotLeague.tv
BU Leaders: Irving (12p, 7r), Sheftic (12p) Hope (11p, 7r)
Army West Points: Hovren (15p), McNeal (12p, 6r), Destinee Morris (9p, 4r)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With 1:40 remaining in the game and the contest tied 60-60, freshman Nia Irving hit a tough shot in the paint and was fouled. She made the free throw to give BU a 63-60 lead it would not relinquish.
- On the ensuing inbounds, BU turned it over giving Army a layup to make it 63-62 with 55 seconds to play.
- With BU leading 63-62 and 38 seconds to play, junior Corrine Williams stole the ball, forcing Army to foul as BU closed out the game at the free throw line and came away with the 66-63 win.
- BU jumped out to an early 7-0 lead after a 3-pointer from Sarah Hope with 7:43 remaining in the 1st quarter to force Army to call an early timeout.
- BU extended its lead to double digits after two free throws from Corrine Williams made it 15-5 with 4:25 left in the 1st quarter. But Army answered with a 9-0 run to cut the BU lead to 15-14 and the 1st quarter ended with the score tied at 17.
- Kara Sheftic came off the bench to shoot 100% (3-3) and score a game high 8 points to help BU build a 33-28 lead at the half.
- Army took its first lead of the game, 45-43 when Madison Hovren hit a jumper with 2:14 to play in the 3rd quarter. Army outscored the Terriers 19-12 in the third to take a 47-45 lead at the end of three quarters.
- BU had a big advantage on the glass, out rebounding Army 37-27
- BU's defense held Army to 4-15 (26.7%) in the second quarter.
- The teams combined for only 5 made 3-pointers. BU shot 2-11 (18.2%) from three while Army shot 3-12 (25%).
- BU shot 49% (25-51) for the game while Army shot 23-59 (39%)
- The victory was the first for BU at Army since 1982.
BU has secured the No. 5 seed in the upcoming PL tournament and earned a first round bye. Following Wednesday's contest and this Saturday's opening round of Patriot League games, the Terriers will head to American on Monday, March 6 for a quarterfinal matchup.