Featuring five Terriers in double figures, the Boston University men's basketball team rolled to an 102-78 win over Maine on Saturday afternoon during day two of the Steve Wright Classic at Case Gym. The Terriers drained 12 3-pointers and shot 54.5 percent from the field to hit the century mark for the first time in 22 years.
Boston University 102, Maine 78
BU (2-1), Maine (1-2)
Case Gym "The Roof" – Boston, Mass.
Watch Replay: Patriot League Network
Postgame Comments: Coach Jones
BU Team Stats:
36-66 FG (.545), 12-27 3FG (.444), 18-22 FT (.818)
Maine Team Stats:
29-71 FG (.408), 8-29 3FG (.276), 12-17 FT (.706)
Alston (16p, 6-6 FT), Fanning (14p, 6r), Scanlon (15p, 3s), Mosely (15p, 4a), Mahoney (5p, 9r)
Fleming (17p, 9r), Myers (12p, 6r), Pirovic (12p, 5 r)
THE TURNING POINT
- Trailing 27-26 with 3:47 left in the first half, BU reeled off eight straight points to finish the half on a 17-3 run and grab a commanding 43-30 lead.
- After being held to 4-of-14 shooting from behind the arc in the first half, the Terriers went 8-of-13 in the second while shooting 69.0 percent overall to coast to the win.
- Both squads came out of the gate pushing the tempo and combining for 29 shot attempts through the first media timeout.
- Maine led by as many as six at 12:06 (18-12) and 10:37 (21-15) in the first half.
- Freshman Tyler Scanlon responded to Wes Myers' 3-pointer with one of his own at 9:42 to help spark a 9-0 run capped by sophomore Kyle Foreman's steal and senior Eric Fanning's layup at 7:15.
- Scanlon scored the final seven points of the half on a 3-pointer, pair of free throws and layup with the help of two steals, to give BU a commanding 43-30 halftime lead.
- Foreman's 3-pointer with 16:47 left put the Terriers above the 20-point threshold (58-37) for good.
NEXT UP: LIU BROOKLYN
- With 13 Terriers tallying a field goal, including the century-mark clinching layup by sophomore Kamali Chambers at 1:28, BU reached 100 points for the 29th time and first time since a 103-83 home win against Army on Dec. 2, 1994.
- BU improved to 60-41 all-time against Maine in the first meeting between the former America East rivals since the Terriers left for the Patriot League in the summer of 2013.
- Senior Justin Alston led BU with 16 points, while freshman Max Mahoney had a game-high nine rebounds in just 13 minutes of action.
- Junior Cheddi Mosely and Scanlon both hit three 3-pointers to finish with 15 points apiece.
- Andrew Fleming led the Black Bears with 17 points and nine rebounds.
- The Terriers will conclude their participation in the Steve Wright Classic on Sunday (Nov. 20) against LIU Brooklyn at 4:30 p.m. after Northeastern battles Maine at 2 p.m.
- The Blackbirds lead the all-time series, 4-2, but BU won the last meeting, 72-57, in 2013 at the 2K Sports Classic on UC Irvine's campus.