BOSTON – Coming off a three-game shutout sweep at Lafayette, the Boston University softball team will remain on the road with a trip to Central Connecticut State on Thursday with first pitch of the doubleheader slated for 3 p.m.
The Terriers were originally scheduled to host the Blue Devils but will now visit New Britain due to the rainfall that hit the area the last couple of days.
- BU has won its last nine conference games to grab second in the PL standings by a combined score of 58-5, but at the same time, the Terriers have lost their last seven mid-week games by a combined score of 33-15.
- The Terriers are 7-10 on the road this season with impressive wins over then-No. 23 Florida Atlantic, defending Big West champion Cal State Fullerton and Loyola Marymount.
- Reigning PL Player of the Week and junior Jilee Schanda batted a stellar .600 last week to increase her batting average to .333 ... Over the seven total mid-week games, she is the only Terrier hitting over .300 at .455 with two homers and five RBIs.
- Sophomore Alex Heinen (.275 avg) leads the Terriers with seven homers and 32 RBIs with senior Gabi Martinez (.339 avg) close behind at four homers and 26 RBIs ... Senior Moriah Connolly (.338 avg.) owns the team lead in stolen bases (35) and runs scored (39).
- Last weekend, senior Makinna Akers (8-8, 2.55 ERA) and freshman Kali Magane (9-10, 3.11 ERA) helped BU shutout a conference opponent in three games for the first time since 2004 ... They have an identical 53 strikeouts so far with a combined eight shutouts.
- The Blue Devils lost their last three games and are now 3-6 at home following defeats to Saint Franics (9-2, 3-1) and Seton Hall (6-0) ... They own a split against Bryant (4-1, 2-3) and a dominating run-rule sweep over Albany (13-5, 9-1).
- CCSU is batting .227 as a team and holding opponents to .295 ... Opponents own a slight 14-13 advantage in homers and 38-30 lead in stolen bases.
- Brittany McNulla leads CCSU at .308 with 23 RBIs and eight doubles, while Brittany Camara (.284 avg.) has 12 stolen bases and 20 runs scored.
- Alexis Debrosse (.275 avg) owns five homers, 22 runs scored and 20 RBIs.
- Emily Sargent (5-17, 3.93 ERA) has 62 strikeouts in 142.2 innings of work with 17 complete games in 18 starts, while Alex Casanas (3-3, 4.48 ERA) has 15 strikeouts in 50.0 innings.
- Highlighted by a no-hitter in 2003, the Terriers are 12-2 all-time against the Blue Devils but will be facing them for the first time since a 2-1 win in 2011.
- BU last visited New Britain, Conn., in 2008 ... The Terriers followed up on a 4-0 loss with a 7-5 win.