Currently in sole possession of second in the Patriot League standings, the Boston University men's basketball team will open a two-game road trip at Navy on Saturday with tip-off slated for 2 p.m.
After American snapped their three-game win streak this past Wednesday, the Terriers sit at 5-2, one game behind Bucknell and one game ahead of Colgate, Army West Point and Navy. BU has already defeated the first three teams and will meet the Midshipmen for the first time this season at Alumni Hall.
- BU is currently 5-5 on the road with PL wins at Bucknell (84-79) and Holy Cross (54-40) ... Loyola Maryland handed the Terriers their first conference loss, 68-65.
- The Terriers are shooting a stellar 48.3 percent from the field in seven PL games so far with Loyola Maryland (.454) the next closest team ... Sophomore Max Mahoney (.571), sophomore Tyler Scanlon (.552) and senior Cedric Hankerson (.516) are all shooting over 50 percent to lead BU.
- Hankerson (14.4 ppg) scored 14 points on Wednesday against American to move into No. 16 all-time in the school record book with 1,221 points ... With 166 career steals, he needs two more to move to No. 5 all-time and six total to grab sole possession of the No. 4 slot.
- Mahoney is the other Terrier averaging double figures this season at 12.2 ppg ... Scanlon though is averaging 13.4 ppg in conference play alongside a team-high 8.9 rpg with the help of three double-doubles.
- Senior Will Goff (7.1 ppg) is shooting 52.3 percent from behind the arc, though PL competition has held him to a slightly lower 45.7 3FG% so far ... BU is 5-1 this season when hitting more 3-pointers than opponents.
- The Terriers rank 67th nationally in steals per game (7.4 spg) and are 8-3 this season when finishing with more points off turnovers.
- The Midshipmen are 7-2 at home with solid wins over Pittsburgh (71-62) and Delaware (82-76) with losses to Lipscomb (73-64) and Army West Point (64-62).
- Navy shared one non-conference opponent with the Terriers, falling at Miami, 89-55 ... BU dropped a 69-54 decision to the Hurricanes.
- Preseason All-PL member Shawn Anderson leads Navy in scoring at 13.2 ppg while also averaging 5.6 rpg and 3.0 apg ... He's one of three Mids averaging double figures alongside Bryce Dulin (11.3 ppg) and Hasan Abdullah (10.4 ppg).
- Tom Lacey (9.2 ppg) leads Navy in rebounding at 6.3 rpg to help Navy rank 47th nationally in rebounding margin (+5.5 rpg), while Abdullah is averaging a team-high 3.6 assists and 2.4 steals per game.
- Navy leads the PL and ranks 67th nationally in scoring defense at 67.2 ppg ... The Mids have not allowed more than 66 points in four home PL games ... BU is 1-7 this season when held below 70 points with the lone win occurring at Holy Cross.
- The Terriers lead the all-time series, 8-2, with the road team winning each of the last four meetings ... BU won the first-ever contest between the two schools during the 1959 NCAA Sweet 16 in Charlotte, N.C.
- In the last meeting at BU, the Terriers missed a 3FG up 34-32 with 8s left in the half ... Navy drew a flagrant on the fastbreak and took the lead for good with two FTs and a 3FG just before the buzzer ... Navy led by as many as 13 at 10:27 (56-43) with the Terriers cutting the deficit to six at 4:13 and 1:18 ... BU shot 30.4 FG% in the 2nd half ... Dulin was one of four Mids in double figures at 19 pts. for the 70-61 win.
- Leading 38-30 with 15:40 left at Navy last January, Goff hit three 3-pointers during a 13-0 run over the following four minutes to help BU pull away for the win ... The Terriers led by as many as 29 with 3:31 remaining before the Mids hit four treys down the stretch to put the final deficit at 18 points (71-53) ... Six Terriers had at least two steals to help BU claim a season-high 19 steals, two shy of the school record set in 1989 and four shy of the Patriot League record.