NEW HAVEN, Conn. –
Facing its second Ivy League opponent, the Boston University women's tennis team fell at Yale, 5-2, on Sunday afternoon. The Bulldogs won two of three doubles matches for the first point and then captured four singles points in straight sets.
Yale 5, Boston University 2
Yale (3-0), BU (1-3)
Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center – New Haven, Conn.
- BU captured two points against Yale after being blanked, 7-0, a year prior.
- The Bulldogs won two doubles matches by a combined score of 12-2.
- Senior Iryna Kostirko and freshman Emily Kim helped BU avoid the sweep in doubles by posting a 6-4 win to improve to 2-2 as a duo this winter at line 2.
- Freshman Lily Burchell also moved to 2-2 in the dual season by dropping just four games at No. 4 singles against Caroline Amos.
- Junior Sophia Kryloff made her first appearance in the new year and edged Yale's Sarah Cameron in a pair of tiebreakers for the 7-6(3), 7-6(5) victory in the No. 6 slot.
- Junior Remi Ramos went to a tiebreaker in her first set against Ivy League Second-Team member Amy Yang but ultimately came up short, 7-6(4), 6-0, while sophomore Clara Falxa won a combined eight games at line 5.
1. Samantha Martinelli (YALE) def. Iryna Kostirko
(BU): 6-3, 6-2
2. Amy Yang (YALE) def. Remi Ramos
(BU): 7-6(4), 6-0
3. Elizabeth Zordani (YALE) def. Emily Kim
(BU): 6-2, 6-4
4. Lily Burchell
(BU) def. Caroline Amos (YALE): 6-0, 6-4
5. Sunday Swett (YALE) def. Clara Falxa
(BU): 6-4, 6-4
6. Sophia Kryloff
(BU) def. Sarah Cameron (YALE): 7-6(3), 7-6(5)
1. Martinelli/Zordani (YALE) def. Ramos/Burchell (BU): 6-0
2. Kostirko/Kim (BU) def. Mimi Levine/Amos (YALE): 6-4
3. Swett/Yang (YALE) def. Falxa / Dani Blaser
NEXT UP: HARVARD
- The Terriers will visit the Crimson on Saturday (Feb. 3) at 10 a.m.
- Harvard won last year's matchup, 6-1, at home.
- Fans will be able to watch the action on the Ivy League Digital Network.