HAMILTON, N.Y. –
Highlighted by a 52nd-minute goal, defending Patriot League champion Colgate defeated the Boston University men's soccer team, 1-0, on Friday night at Beyer-Small Field.
Ranked as high as No. 13 earlier this year, the Raiders end the regular season at 9-4-5 and 5-2-2 in the PL standings, while the Terriers fall to 5-10-3 (4-4-1 PL). Despite the loss, with Army beating American Friday night, BU has clinched home field for Tuesday's PL quarterfinal matchup against an opponent to be determined.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Colgate posted an 8-0 advantage in shots during the first 45 minutes of action, but senior Mike Bernardi had four stops to keep the game scoreless entering the locker room.
- Steven DeLeo netted his second goal of the season at 51:11 with assistance from Oliver Harris for a 1-0 lead.
- Sophomore George Abunaw recorded BU's first shot attempt at 71:51, but it sailed over the crossbar.
- Sophomore Ignacio Roitman's attempt went wide at 80:58.
- The Terriers had a dangerous through ball into the box three minutes later but were unable to connect, as Colgate preserved the shutout.
NEXT UP: Patriot League Quarterfinals
- Colgate posted a 15-2 advantage in shots and 2-0 lead in corners.
- The Raiders improved to 7-1-1 at home with their ninth overall shutout of the season.
- Bernardi's seven saves tied for the second most this season by the senior keeper after he tallied seven at Loyola Maryland and an NCAA-high 14 stops at Princeton.
- With Colgate winning its third straight meeting, BU now leads the all-time series, 6-3-2.
- The No. 4 seed Terriers will host their second PL quarterfinal contest in three years on Tuesday (Nov. 6) at 7 p.m.
- They will host either Army or Bucknell ... The Bison need a win over Navy on Saturday (Nov. 3) to jump over the Black Knights for the No. 5 seed.
- BU beat both teams in October by one-goal margins.