BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Sophomore McKenna Doyle scored with 57 seconds left in regulation to cap a thrilling 2-1 comeback victory for the Boston University women's soccer team at Lehigh on Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: Boston University 2, Lehigh 1
Records: BU (5-10-1, 5-1-0 PL), Lehigh (8-4-2, 2-3-1 PL)
Location: Ulrich Sports Complex – Bethlehem, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just as the game entered the 90th minute, junior Hannah Wilcox found sophomore McKenna Doyle in front of the net for the game-winner.
- Lehigh opened the scoring in the 52nd minute but the Terriers got an equalizer from senior Rachel Bloznalis just 105 seconds later.
- The win was the Terriers' fifth straight in conference play and stretched their current unbeaten streak to six games (5-0-1).
- After a first half where each squad mustered just one shot on goal, the Mountain Hawks broke the scoreless deadlock on an impressive shot off a throw-in.
- Sabrina Mertz corralled a throw-in by Annika Jansa from the right side and entered the box before curling a perfectly placed shot to the top corner on the far side at the 51:13 mark.
- BU used a free kick by junior Jesse Shreck to quickly knot the game, as Bloznalis was positioned in front of the goal to receive the kick from the left side and knocked it past Lehigh goalkeeper Sam Miller at 52:58.
- The Terriers nearly scored just moments following the Bloznalis tally after well-place through ball found sophomore Julianna Chen, but her shot sailed wide.
- BU earned a corner with three minutes remaining and Wilcox attempted a header off the play that went just wide.
- The visitors continued to apply pressure and were rewarded with Doyle's late winner.
- BU came into the game with four straight shutouts in league play and had that impressive skein come to an end at 411:24 after Lehigh opened the scoring.
- BU held a 15-9 advantage in shots and each team put four shots on goal.
- The Terriers earned three corners and allowed two.
- The teams were tied for all but 2:42 of the contest.
- Doyle has accumulated six points (2g, 2a) over the past three contests.
NEXT UP: HOLY CROSS
- The Terriers will visit Holy Cross on Wednesday (Oct. 19) for a 7 p.m contest.
- It will be the first 2016-17 Turnpike Trophy contest as the in-state rivals enter the second year of their department-wide competition, which was won by BU in 2015-16 by a final tally of 20-4.
- The game will be broadcast live on the Patriot League Network.