BOSTON – Earning his first-career points, freshman Jerry Ozor recorded a pair of assists to help the Boston University men's soccer team claim a 2-0 win over Brown on Tuesday night at Nickerson Field. Senior Matt Gilbert posted five saves and helped the backline successfully defend against four corner kicks to snap an eight-game winless streak against the Bears.
Final Score: BU 2, Brown 0
Records: BU (3-2-0), Brown (3-3-0)
Location: Nickerson Field – Boston, Mass.
Highlights/Postgame Comments: YouTube
Watch Replay: PatriotLeague.tv
Goals: BU - McDonnell (42'), BU - Viteri (54')
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Reigning Patriot League Midfielder of the Week and sophomore Magnus Benediktsson almost scored for the second consecutive game when he rifled a high shot from the top of the box that went by Brown keeper Erik Hanson's arms but hit the crossbar to keep the the game 0-0 in the 17th minute.
- After BU forced a turnover to create a counter attack, freshman Jerry Ozor brought the ball up the left side and got around his defender to fire a hard, low shot that was saved by Brown. However, Hanson was unable to hold onto the ball, allowing freshman Matt McDonnell to get the easy finish and 1-0 lead just before halftime at 41:31.
- Ozor and junior Anthony Viteri used the give-and-go maneuver on the left side of Brown's box to help Viteri get past the backline and shoot toward the far post for the 2-0 advantage at 53:40.
- Brown's arguably best opportunity to score occurred in the 71st minute when the Bears forced a turnover and played the ball up to the sprinting Nate Pomeroy up the middle. Senior Matt Gilbert moved toward the top of the box and saved a point-blank shot, as Pomery tried to score quickly while being pressured from behind by a pair of BU defenders.
NEXT UP: BUCKNELL
- Improving to 15-23-4 all-time in the series dating back to 1969, the Terriers snapped an eight-game winless streak (0-6-2) against Brown and defeated the Bears for the first time since a 1-0 road win in 2007.
- BU last won at Nickerson Field against Brown in 2004 by the identical 2-0 score.
- Led by senior Felix De Bona's three shots, the Terriers finished with a 17-12 advantage in attempts and 7-4 lead in corners.
- The Terriers are now 3-0 this season at home following previous victories over UMass and Northeastern.
- Ozor became the second Terrier to tally two assists in a game this season, joining Benediktsson who accomplished the feat against both then-No. 8 Boston College and Northeastern.
- Viteri has recorded at least point in all five games with a shot finding the back of the net in four contests.
- BU has now recorded two shutouts this season and has scored a goal in the first half of every game so far.
- Selected second in the coaches' preseason poll, the Terriers will open Patriot League play at Bucknell on Saturday (Sept. 24).
- The Patriot League Network broadcast will begin at 1 p.m.
- Bucknell is 2-0-2 all-time against BU with all four contests requiring extra time.