Men's Soccer Rolls Past Monmouth, 3-0

Men's Soccer Rolls Past Monmouth, 3-0

Box Score

Sept. 14, 2013

Box Score | Blugh's Postgame Comments | Watch Replay | Highlights

BOSTON - Senior Anthony Ciccone recorded two assists and redshirt freshman Matt Gilbert stopped one shot to help the Boston University men's soccer team defeat Monmouth, 3-0, on Saturday night at Nickerson Field. With their second consecutive win, the Terriers improve to 2-2-0, while the MAAC preseason favorite Hawks drop to 1-3-1 after suffering their worst loss in a regular season match-up since 2003.

BU got on the board first in the 27th minute when freshman Felix De Bona dribbled around the diving Monmouth keeper Stephen Graziani and fired into the net after collecting a short pass from junior Jordan Barker. The play was set up by freshman David Asbjornsson winning a long ball from Monmouth's box and heading it toward junior Dominique Badji in the middle of the field. Badji then headed it toward Barker. The speedy midfielder blocked a quick pass attempt from a defender in front before sending it to De Bona. 

Ciccone struck for the first time at 62:06 in the second half when he curled a corner kick into the box for sophomore Jeroen Blugh to head in cleanly for his first career goal. In the 88th minute, classmate Lucas McBride also tallied his first career score with assistance from Ciccone and redshirt-sophomore Mac McGuire.

Now tied-for-first with three points on the squad, McGuire drove toward the box and sent the ball to Ciccone, who then one-touched it to McBride on the right side. McBride collected the pass and fired toward the far post for the 3-0 advantage.

The Hawks last lost by a 3-0 margin to then-No. 9 Harvard in the second round of the NCAA tournament and suffered a three-plus goal defeat in the regular season to Central Connecticut State in 2003.

They edged the Terriers in both shot attempts, 12-11, and in corner kicks, 6-2 while also finishing ahead in fouls, 14-12. Graziani had one save for Monmouth, while Derek Luke had a team-high three shots.

Gilbert's lone save occurred at 54:28 when he caught a free kick from Tomas Penfold. He was also in position to catch multiple corner kicks, as the backline held Monmouth in check throughout the night.

With its second consecutive win, BU avenged a 1-0 defeat in 2011 at Monmouth to even the series at 1-1.

The Terriers will next host rival Northeastern on Tuesday (Sept. 17) at 7 p.m.

Print Friendly Version