April 2, 2015
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. -
Down a set and three games in the second, freshman Iryna Kostirko rallied to win her match and give the Boston University women's tennis team a thrilling 4-3 come-from-behind victory against Connecticut on Thursday afternoon at the East Hartford Tennis Club.
Snapping a three-match losing streak, the Terriers improve to 8-7, as the Huskies' (12-8) five-match win streak came to a halt.
UConn won the No. 2 and 3 doubles contests by a combined score of 12-1 to earn the first point. Both teams captured two singles points apiece in straight sets with junior Lauren Davis (#2) and sophomore Barbara Rodriguez (#4) leading the Terriers.
After winning the first set in the top singles slot, junior Johanna Hyoty dropped the second but rebounded to capture the third for the 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 victory. Kostirko was two games away from defeat but also dug deep to triumph at No. 3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
BU will next resume Patriot League action against Lehigh and Lafayette on Friday, April 10 at Army.
Boston University - 4, UConn - 3
1) Johanna Hyoty (BU) def. Srna Stosljevic (UCONN): 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2) Lauren Davis (BU) def. Emma Alderman (UCONN): 6-2, 6-2
3) Iryna Kostirko (BU) def. Yelyzaveta Pletnyeva (UCONN): 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4) Barbara Rodriguez (BU) def. Summer Walker (UCONN): 6-3, 6-1
5) Zaina Zaki (UCONN) def. Iris Lin (BU): 6-0, 6-4
6) Shea Flanagan (UCONN) def. Kim McCallum (BU): 6-2, 6-4
1) Hyoty/Rodriguez (BU) led Maxene Weinberg/Stosljevic (UCONN): 4-3, unfinished
2) Alderman/Zaki (UCONN) def. Madison Craft / Davis (BU): 6-1
3) Pletnyeva/Walker (UCONN) def. McCallum/Kostirko: (BU) 6-0